Often referred to as the central science, chemistry examines the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of the stuff of the universe. The centrality of Chemistry is evident from the breadth of topics of recent Nobel Prizes in Chemistry. Students often feel that they could never be chemists because scientists are "super smart." However, anyone who enjoys learning about the world around us can be a successful chemist.
The faculty and staff of the Department of Chemistry are dedicated to the creation and dissemination of knowledge in all aspects of the chemical sciences. We strive to enable students to make meaningful contributions to our diverse, technological society and to improve the lives of the citizens of Ukraine and beyond. The short-term goals of the Department focus on improving the educational experience in Chemistry at the undergraduate and graduate levels and on enhancing the Department's long-term contributions in research and service. The faculty of the department have extensive research programs in analytical, biological, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry.
Studying chemistry develops the following skills:
- analyze and solve modern problems in many areas
- unleash creativity and imagination regarding all we can touch
- generate and formulate ideas
- utilize math to describe the world around us
- collaborate with other scientists
- develop technical writing and public speaking abilities
- become proficient in the laboratory
- develop organization skills